Here are some strategies you can begin implementing immediately to build a catalog of links to your law firm’s web site:
1. Create a very useful, informative, or entertaining web site. The more valuable and useful your web site, the more likely it is that others will link to you. As a lawyer, you know all kinds of things that other people need to know. So use your web site as a forum to reveal your awesome knowledge. Don’t worry about giving information away for free. It won’t cost you any clients.
2. Publish a blog. Carefully include specific keywords in your blog posts and link to other relevant blogs.
3. Write and distribute articles. Make sure your articles have a byline with a keyword link back to your site.
4. Build pages on social networking sites. Sites like Squidoo.com and HubPages.com let you build pages about anything you want. Those pages will, of course, link back to your main site.
5. Post comments on other blogs. If possible, locate blogs that allow “do-follow” links.
6. Link swap. This is the classic technique, but it still works. Contact other law firms or companies in the legal industry and offer to swap links.
Link building is hard work, but it is definitely doable if you are systematic and force yourself to spend a few hours per week doing it.
Here are some questions you should ask any SEO firm you are considering hiring to promote your law firm web site:
1. What exactly will you be doing? Make sure the firm can explain how it plans on promoting your site.
2. Who will be doing the work? Make sure it is not going to be interns or junior employees working exclusively on your site.
3. Do you have any referrals, testimonials or case studies? You can’t go wrong by asking for proof.
4. How do you charge? Make sure you understand what you are paying for.
5. Are you promoting other law firms for the same market? This one is huge. You want to hire a company that is ONLY going to be promoting your web site for your geographic market.
If you find a law firm SEO company that can explain how it works, that has some referrals, and that is going to be promoting your site EXCLUSIVELY for your market, then you may have a winner.
Welcome to the Law Firm Internet Marketing blog! We will occasionally publish articles of a more lengthy nature (available via our Articles page), but in this blog we will pass along frequent, small nuggets of information and advice related to online law firm promotion. We have years of experience in the online promotion of law firms, and our intention here is education you so that you make good use of your marketing dollars.
It is so easy to get ripped off in this industry…
We’re not going to name names, but there are some very large companies associated with the business of promoting law firms who take on multiple, multiple clients in the same market and the guarantee them all high search engine rankings. How exactly does that work?
Don’t fall for it. Educate yourself about this business. And then hire a company you trust. It would be great if you hired us. But regardless, learn as much as you can and then make a decision that you are comfortable with.
We’ll do our best help with the process.